Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Perbedaan Going To, Will, Should, Ought To, Have To, Must, Had Better

11.       Use of Going To and Will
Will
How do we use ‘will’? Look at the stuctures we’ve given below


Subject + will + V1
I will catch you if you fall
Subject + will + not + V1
I will not join, my leg hurts
Will + Subject + V1 + ?
Will she stop crying?







When do we use ‘will’?
·         No plan
We make the decision spontaneously and it is made at the time of speaking. Look at this example:
Maybe we’ll stay in and watch the television tonight
We often use ‘will’ with verb ‘to think’ before it
I think I’ll go to the gym now.
·         Prediction
To make a prediction about future. Again, there is no firm plan. We are saying what we think will happen.
People won’t go to Jupiter before the 22nd century
·         Be
It is used if we have a firm plan or decision before speaking.
I’ll be in London tomorrow

Going To
Structure
Subject + Be+ Going to + V1
I’m going to punch him
Subject + Be+ Not + Going to + V1
She’s not going to attend the party
Be + Subject + Going to +V1 + ?
Are we going to go to the shop?

When do we use going to?
·        When we talk about a firm plan for future
I’m going to see him later today
They’re going to launch it next month
Notice that this plan does not have to be for the near future:
When I retire I’m going to go back to Yogyakarta to live
·         When we want to make prediction based on evidence we can see now
Look! That vase is going to fall off!

We can replace ‘going to go’ by ‘going’
I’m going out later (I’m going to go out later)

22.       Use of Had Better and Should
Had better
Subject + Had better + V1
I had better do that
Subject + Had better + not + V1
You’d better not say anything
Had + Subject + better + V1+?
Had I better walk away and leave her alone?

Although “had” is the past form of “have” but we use “had better” to give advice about the present or tomorrow.
è We use had better to talk about specific situation not the general ones.
è However, when we use had better, there is a suggestion that if the advice is not followed, that something bad will happen.
You’d better do what I say or else you’ll get into trouble
She’d better not come late or her boss will fire her.

Should
Structure
Subject + Should + V1
I should forgive him
Subject + Should  not + V1
People should not kiss in public
Should + Subject + V1 + ?
Should we go there?

When do we use should?
·         For giving advice, general ones
We should ask a lawyer
·         To give an opinion or a recommendation
They should do something about this terrible train service
It is to express personal opinion and is much weaker and more personal than ‘must’ or ‘have to’. It is often introduced by ‘I think’
I think she should be replaced.
·         We can use it after ‘reporting verbs’ such as demand, insist, purpose, recommend, suggest
We have suggested that Sofi should be given a reward for her hard work.

è However, it’s also possible to say exactly the same thing by omitting the “should” and just use the infinitive form without ‘to’
We have suggested that Sofi be given a reward for her hard work.

·         We can use ‘should’ after various adjectives. Typical examples are: funny interesting, natural, odd, strange, surprised, surprising, typical
It’s funny that you should say that. I was thinking the exactly same thing.

·         In ‘if clause’ when the possibility of something happening is small
If there should be a proble, just call me.
·         To show strong aggrement
They’re giving you that gifts? I should think so
·         To express pleasure after recieving a gift
What a fantastic present. You shouldn’t have.
·         To emphasize a visible emotion
You should’ve seen her face when Sugeng said how pretty she is.

33.       Use of Must and Have To
Subject + Must/Have to+V1
They must leave
They have to kill that venomous snake
Subject + Must not / Don’t have to + V1
She must not cry
She has to do that soon
Must + Subject+ V1+?
Must we change the subject?
Do+ Subject + Have to+ V1+?
Do we have to do that?

 So what are the differences?
Must
Have to
To express a strong obligation, that some personal circumstance makes the obligation necessary
I must go to bed earlier

To express a strong obligation, that some external circumstance makes the obligation necessary
I have to pass the exams. My dad will buy me  a new Iphone.
We use ‘mustn’t’ to express strong obligation not to do something
We must’nt talk about it. It’s too confidential.
We use don’t have to if there’s no obligation or necessity.
I don’t have to say it. You’ve heard it all.




4.4.  Ought to
Ought to  is used to advice or make recommendations.

Subject + Ought to + V1
She ought to be nice
Subject + Ought not + to + V1
You ought not to beat him
Ought + Subject + to + V1+?
Ought we to come to her party?

WARNING:
The questioon form of ought to is not very common becaue it is very formal. We usually use ‘should’ instead.

Uses
·         What is desired or ideal
è They ought to have more parks in the city center.
We ought to eat lots of fruits and vegetables everyday.
è I ought to have saved  more money not spent them on food. ( The ideal or desired thing was that I saved money, but I didn’t)
·         What is likely

è The movie ought to take 2 hours so we’d better grab some popcorns.


Kalau mau copy please izin dulu ya

0 comments:

Post a Comment